Saturday, November 7, 2009

Excusing the inexcusable

From a "progressive" blogger on a "progressive" newspaper:


"About that "Allahu Akbar". The fact that Hassan reportedly shouted the above is meant, I suppose, to imply that he was an extremist fanatic. I'm not sure that it does. My understanding is that it's something Arab people often shout before doing something or other. It's used in many different situations. It doesn't mean the guy is an al-Qaida mole any more than my drinking a cup of tea would mean I was a tea partier."


http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/michaeltomasky/2009/nov/06/fort-hood-allahu-akbar


I don't know about you. But, if I'm at the airport or the mall or the stadium or any public space, and I hear someone yell, "Allahu Akbar", I'm going to hit the deck and try to get behind something solid.

No comments: