Saturday, December 20, 2008

Talk about out of touch professors

Syndicated by the Los Angeles Times, from Michael Messner, a professor of sociology and gender studies at the University of Southern California:

"Once again this year my December paycheck is a few hundred dollars fatter than those of previous months. That's because December is when my gross annual income hits the ceiling for Social Security taxes. The government collects 6.2 cents from every dollar I earn up to $102,000. Then it stops, and I begin receiving what I call a ``prosperity bonus.''
So am I happy about the windfall? Nope. I don't want it. My message to President-elect Barack Obama and to the Democratic-controlled Congress is this: Tax me more."

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/other-views/story/820475.html

What kind of fool thinks that the group we need to tax more are those earning between $102,000 and $150,000 per year? Those are the folks upon whom the major burden of this new proposed tax would fall. Curently, most of them use the extra money on holiday spending, i.e., the only thing currently keeping the economy going. The professor thinks the money's burning a hole in his pocket? He can donate it to charity.

BTW - An article asking for a middle class tax increase by a professor of "gender studies" at the University of Southern California? It sounds like something from The Onion.

1 comment:

jana said...

If this twerp thinks the government is doing such a great job with his tax money, no one's stopping him from writing a check directly to the IRS for the "surplus" FICA tax they're not stealing from him.