Monday, November 10, 2008

Is there any space for conservative Democrats?

I'm a conservative Democrat, a former elected official and a current elected county (Democratic) party official.

I could not get behind Obama, so I followed the advice of Old Thom Paine ("Lead, follow, or get out of the way.") From convention to election, I got out of the way. I stepped back from my party and the so called 'progressive' blogs.

Now that the election is over, I'm still a Democrat. But, I still haven't bought "the dream". I didn't fear the apocalypse, but I don't anticipate the rapture.

Instead, I see a normal political cycle. Because of the utter stupidity and incompetence of a conservative administration that in 2000 was given control of all three branches of the federal government, we now have a more liberal government given control of two branches of the federal government.

As a result, we have a Democratic president, but with little or no coattails (House up 20+? Failed propositions in CA and FL? No incumbent Republican governors lost?). Not to be a wet blanket, but the economic collapse made this a can't lose year for any Democrat (the election was over when everyone received their third quarter 401K statements in late October).

In my view, taxes and spending will both increase, to be followed by immediate relief for the lower end of the economic ladder, and then inevitably followed by medium and long term discomfort for all ends of the spectrum unless the budget is balanced. Eventually, whether in 4 or 8 or 12 years, the cycle will reverse as corruption or arrogance sets. Apply, lather, repeat.

That's where I'm coming from. I'm here to contribute to the discussion as a Democrat of decidedly conservative leanings. Is there any space for conservative Democrats (who post on Democratic and conservative sites)?

I ask because I've been kicked off Daily Kos (real free speech progressives!) and criticised for the 'sin' of posting on redstate.

3 comments:

attempting individual thoughts said...

I think you make a very good point. I have been doing a lot of soul searching during this election cycle about where I stand on issues and what "category" that places me in. I came to the shocking conclusion that if it were not for a strong belief in fiscal conservatism, small government and personal responsibility I would probably be a democrat. I'm socially just "too liberal" to be a dyed in the wool republican. I don't have a problem with gay marriage. I don't foam at the mouth over abortion. Although I think it should be top priority to secure our borders I believe in the American Dream and also think it is the most unrealistic, infantile notion that we can deport tens of millions of people. So where do I fit in? I'm not a hard to the right Republican and the way liberal left scares the tar out of me. So how do you start a legitimate third party in this country?

Eric said...

I'm not sure how keen you are to follow National Review Online, or Powerline, but they are great places to start. I wasn't always a conservative myself; at one time I considered myself fiscally conservative and socially liberal. My libertarian instincts kept me from following conservative websites and blogs for fear they would be too dyed-in-the-wool for my sensibilities. Not so; conservatism really is inclusive. You'll find David Frum on NRO; he is one of the keenest political observers, and just an all around good egg. He pays attention to his inbox and is generous about airing dissent from his, or conservative, opinion. His book, "Comeback" may be of interest to you; it is extraordinarily even-handed and worth a read (my wife is a liberal-independent who has enjoyed reading Frum and really respects his point of view).
I've found more intellectual honesty within the confines of the conservative blogosphere than anywhere else (your experience with the DailyKos bears this out). Further proof of this can be found in F.A. Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom," which libertarians publicly celebrate as a sort of Bible, but which contains some admissions libertarians and their critics often ignore, namely support for a limited, transparent system of social programs. Ronald Reagan's 1964 "Rendezvous with Destiny" speech contains this sentence: "We are for a provision that destitution should not follow unemployment by reason of old age, and to that end we have accepted Social Security as a step toward meeting the problem." I know these referrences aren't earth-shattering, but they are proof that the conservative movement isn't as heartless as portrayed. I am sure many of the people that read Powerline and NRO would be glad to hear from you. I am heartened to know there are people such as you who value the exchange of ideas necessary to maintain democracy!

RightDemocrat said...

There are plenty of conservative Democrats but they need to be more vocal and insist on their right to participate in the party. My advice is to stay involved but don't focus your energy on just critizing Obama. Instead support Democrats who share your views and seek to gradually influence the party in the direction that you want it to go.

I never cared much for Bill Clinton and his Presidency was a very dark period for me but have no regrets about having remained in the party.