Saturday, September 19, 2009

Indianapolis

Traveling the country in 2007 and 2008, I was struck by the deep unpopularity of and distain for Bush. Apropos of nothing, people would voluntarily trash him.

My travels took me to Indianapolis this weekend.

Indiana is a swing state that usually doesn't swing. Dependably Republican, Obama (from next door Illinois) carried Indiana for the Democrats for the first time since Lyndon Johnson in '64. Obama carried Indiana by carrying Gary, those Chicago suburbs located in Indiana, and Indianapolis.

It was deja vu this weekend in Indiana. The couple at the bar next to me in St. Elmo's steak house, the woman in front of me in the Sheraton check in line, the girl involuntarily saying "I can't stand him" when the promo for Obama-on-Letterman appeared during the Florida / Tennessee game - - all without prompting unselfconsciously voiced their distain for Obama (in the city he carried by a large enough margin to give him the state).

Obama will not carry Indiana next time.

No comments: